Saturday 6 July 2013

Sesame Bars

On rainy, thunderstorm days there really isn't much to do outdoors so I entertained myself indoors and whipped up my favourite sesame bars! I found this recipe from Green Kitchen Stories earlier on this year and have made these several times already (with slight moderations to the original recipe). Not only are they healthy but they taste insanely good and are so addictive. Here is how I made them.

I like to have my bars full of nuts so instead of just walnuts, as suggested in the recipe, I add in several other nuts including pine-nuts,  pecans, almonds etc. First I toast all the nuts, give them a quick chop and set aside. 
Nuts
Next ingredient are berries of all kinds including cranberries, acai berries and goji berries (aka wolfberries). For those who haven't heard of goji berries they are the fruit of Lycium barbarum and Lycium chinense native to China. I have eaten these berries since I was little in homemade soups and desserts and recently it has become very popular in western countries. These berries are full of powerful antioxidants and Vitamin A. Research has also seen effects of anti-aging, improved athletic performance, health and sleep. These berries seem too good to be true, but with the history of chinese medicine I wouldn't doubt the efficacy of these berries! There is one health issue relating to wafarin which has been raised, so if you do have problems with wafarin check with your doctor before including these berries in your daily diet. Now back to the recipe... I give the berries a good wash to remove the coating on them, then toast them in the pan to dry them off again.
Goji Berries

Sesame seeds are next in line for toasting. By this stage the pan is really hot and sesames can burn easily so I turn off the fire to toast them. 
Sesame seeds

Time to combine it all together!
Add the honey and coconut oil. Mix well.
In goes the honey and coconut oil

Lay parchment paper down on rectangular tin tray and pour mixture in and even out. Leave in the fridge for a min of 4 hours or overnight and TA DA you have SESAME BARS! 
Sesame bars 
Final product!

Enjoy! 

X MM

PS. I have another recipe on the way so look out for another cooking post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...